A current issue in the area of corporate governance is board diversity. There has been much discussion in the media recently that has focused on greater representation of women on corporate boards. Consider recent news articles like these:
Twitter’s diversity report: white, male and just like the rest of Silicon Valley, The Guardian, Friday 25 July 2014
More provinces to adopt Ontario’s disclosure rules for women on boards, The Globe and Mail, July 3, 2014
The Trouble With Gender Quotas. Huffington Post, July 29, 2014
Women on corporate boards: companies need ‘to open their minds’, CBC News, July 20, 2014
The spread of gender quotas for company boards, The Economist, March 25, 2014
Mixed-sex boards are better governed, study shows, The Globe and Mail, July 2, 2014
How Many Women Are In the Banking Board Room? The Wall Street Journal, May 15, 2014
Appointing more women to boards would be a good start, Vancouver Sun, July 1, 2014
Gender Target Aims To Transform Malaysian Boards, But May Take Time, Forbes, July 21, 2014
For more in-depth information on this topic, here are a few online resources:
Canadian Board Diversity Council
– The Council conducts research on the progress of diversity on Canada’s corporate boards.
In partnership with the Globe and Mail, the Council issues an Annual Report Card and Ranking.
– a nonprofit organization focused on expanding opportunities for women and business.
Gender Diversity and Corporate Performance (Credit Suisse)
– This report (2012) addresses the question: does gender diversity within corporate management improve performance?
Board Games 2012 (Globe and Mail Report on Business)
– The focus of the 2012 Board Games report is the slow progress of women on corporate boards in Canada.
Women in Leadership: Perceptions and Priorities for Change, The Conference Board of Canada, May 2013
Canadian Board Index 2013 (Spencer Stuart)
– board trends and practices of leading Canadian companies. This year the report features: “Gender Diversity in the Boardroom: A Spencer Stuart Perspective”
Search for journal or magazine articles on this topic – some suggested databases are listed here. When searching these databases try using search terms like: “board diversity”; “Women directors of corporations”; “women on boards”; “gender diversity”; “glass ceiling” etc.
Getting women on to corporate boards : a snowball starting in Norway. (2013) By Silke Machold.
Progress in inches, miles to go : a benchmarking study of women’s leadership in Canada.
(2013) By L. Pauline Rankin.